DX  » Community » Reviews » 6mm 5mW Red Laser Module (3.5~4.5V)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 5
Read Proff's review, it will save your laser – 6mm 5mW Red Laser Module (3.5~4.5V) Reviews

posted by yb2normal on 12/29/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
I rated the *product* 5 stars because it is an excellent value for the price, but please do find Proff's review and heed his advice on resistor selection! You WILL burn this laser up if you don't limit the current. If you don't know what "limit the current" means then buy a different laser, this one is not for you.
Cons:
Deal Extreme could have done a much better job of describing the device. You NEED TO KNOW this:
1) This item is a laser diode and collimating lens ONLY.
2) It does not have a voltage regulator
3) It does not have a current limiting resistor.
4) Only buy this device if you've worked with, and understand how to power, a plain old current driven LED.
Other:
Insanely good value, I can't believe I just bought a LASER for this price. Going to mount this to an airsoft gun.
Bottomline:
Buy it if you know how to power an LED, otherwise you'll wait 5 to 10 days to receive a cool little product that you will immediately burn up. Buy 2 like I did so you can learn the lesson the hard way by burning one up, but still have at least one working unit when you come back to the reviews to figure out what you did wrong.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections