DX  » Community » Reviews » 52.8mm*41.5mm Aluminum Reflector with Copper Base for SSC P7 LED Emitters
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Perfect for SSC P7 – 52.8mm*41.5mm Aluminum Reflector with Copper Base for SSC P7 LED Emitters Reviews

posted by techjunkie on 11/20/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Focuses P7 to give awesome throw, large concentrated hotspot, and giant bright spill.
Conducts heat from emitter to pill to reflector to head very well.
Unmodified, drops right into WF-500 head.
Modified, makes Mag C/D head into same torch as sku 14412.
Reflector is direct replacement for several P7 torches with same diameter reflector.
Cons:
Pill doesn't appear to be pure copper (probably is brass), which made it more difficult to cut (see other thoughts).
Other:
To fit this into a Mag C, I had to cut off the bottom 1/2" of the pill with a pipe cutter, otherwise the head would not screw down past the gasket on the body. Reduce the height of the Mag head threads with a file, then dremel the inside edge of the head to a 45 degree angle. Dremel off a bit of the threading on the outside edge of the reflector and file down the top a little and this will sit nicely inside the Mag head with a single glass lens with the bezel fully tightened.
Electrically isolate the P7 slug (which is LED+) from the pill with Arctic Adhesive to avoid short/explosion.
Dremel off the top part of the Mag C body and then file down to the top thread and the body will then make direct thermal and electrical contact with the cut bottom of the pill.
I've done all the above and then made direct electrical connection between LED- and pill and installed long spring for contact between LED+ lead and contact in Mag bulb socket.
Direct driving a P7 D-bin in my Mag 3C with 3x AccuPower LSD NiMH cells ROCKS! (Beats my 2*18650 P7 for power and runtime and has safe chemistry.)
Bottomline:
Inexpensive part that can be used to make an absolutely awesome torch.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections