DX  » Community » Reviews » 2.1mm 160-Degree Wide Angle Lens for Security Cameras and Webcams
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
A real bargain – 2.1mm 160-Degree Wide Angle Lens for Security Cameras and Webcams Reviews

posted by marcoscu2 on 05/08/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Very well priced Good build quality Reasonable image quality Fairly easy to install
Cons:
Marked barrel distortion in image Fitting the lens is easy in theory but harder in practice. Focusing the lens is time consuming and hard on the fingers.
Other:
This replacement lens, which I use on my Foscam network IP camera, gives a markedly wider field of view but at the price of marked barrel distortion (straight lines bend inwards). Ther original lens unscrews easily but fitting the new lens is tricky because it is smaller in size and hard to grip. It is crucial to take care and ensure the lens is screwed in exactly straight. The screw thread is tiny and, I suspect, easily stripped if inserted off center. So be careful. To focus the new lens it needed to be screwed in very tight, as far down as possible, and this is hard on the fingers as the thread is very tight and the lens small and hard to grip.
Bottomline:
Great for security use and at a price hard to beat. Can be tricky to install and focus.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections