DX  » Community » Reviews » Wide 8.9" USB Touch Screen Film (Makes LCD Screens Touch Sensitive)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Decent touch screen – Wide 8.9" USB Touch Screen Film (Makes LCD Screens Touch Sensitive) Reviews

posted by rpgdonkey on 04/08/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
It will allow you add touch functionality to your netbook. I put it in an acer aspire one and it worked fine. It's pretty sensitive and will allow for handwriting with a stylus of your fingernail.
Cons:
The cables that came with it didn't fit the connectors. This wasn't an issue for installing it because I had to solder the wires to save space, but it would have been nice to test the screen before voiding the warranty and to find out which side is which.
My controller stopped working after a few months, but since it's a diy product, I can't say it's 100% the manufacturer's fault; a wire could have came loose and messed up the curcuitry.
Other:
Keep in mind that adding a resistive touch panel to your screen will dim it a bit, due to the tiny wires in the screen. This will work much better with a stylus, fingernail or anything hard. It doesn't pick up soft finger touches too well.
Bottomline:
If you want touch functionality in your netbook and don't mind doing some soldering, get this. I liked having a touch screen on my aspire one because I hate touchpads.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections