DX  » Community » Reviews » DIY 7W 630LM 6500K White Light Flat Strip LED Module (10~13V)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 3
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Strong white light in very thin heatsink – DIY 7W 630LM 6500K White Light Flat Strip LED Module (10~13V) Reviews

posted by jumato on 11/20/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Surprisingly strong light with some 12v. Thinness gives you lot of applications for example directly to wall (try to hide the wires). It does not heat up. The 6500K color is bright white. Good "wow" effect. Tiny holes in the heat sink for small nails/screws for mounting.
Cons:
Didn't try yet, but assume its hard to solder the wires in a way to look nice and if not covered the +/- might be accessable (risk for shorting with water or metal object). I wish this was 7 USD and I would buy bunch of them. Current 12.6 USD is in the high side. Its interesting that the yellow surface is sticky and I fear dust and other particles get stuck to it.
Other:
Seems to be sensitive to the voltage: below 9v doesn't lit up at al, with 10 v looks nice with all the "cells" separately visible (wow effect), and with about 12v it is just bright white band. Playing with voltage you can get the desired impact. No long term experience about quality, but at least now all cells work. As the heat sink is sturdy, I dont expect any issues. There is another 3W version with 40% cheaper but some 70% less lumens. Now I would like to try that too for comparison.
Bottomline:
If you need a thin, wide, bright white (6500K), cool (temp) and cool (wow) light and can keep a small solder in your hands, go for it! If more people buy this, maybe price goes down :-)

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections