DX  » Community » Reviews » 7" USB Plug-n-Play Touch Screen Digitizer for Asus Eee PC 701 UMPC Laptops
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 2
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Good kit – 7" USB Plug-n-Play Touch Screen Digitizer for Asus Eee PC 701 UMPC Laptops Reviews

posted by TourerV on 05/09/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
I bought it for upgrading my Asus Eee PC 701. This device makes netbook more convenient in use. Good pressing sensitivity. Good price. The kit I'd received has been well packed and not hurt during delivery. The integrated board of the touchscreen controller and USB hub has rather small size, it is not too difficult to find a place for it inside the netbook.
Cons:
Buggy built-in USB hub. If I increase CPU clock by eeectl program, touchscreen and all devices connected through this hub will become shut down. At first they working stably, and then become unstable and finally disabled. Only the setting the stock CPU frequency and mechanical disconnecting-connecting of hub helped. All works well on stock CPU frequency (630 MHz). I want to have an ability to use higher CPU frequencies, so I have tried to connect the touchscreen controller directly to USB port, passing hub. After this operation, touchscreen worked stably at any frequency of the CPU (630-900 MHz). To make connection under such circuit with included cables, I cut 2 signal tracks which connect the USB_IN plug and the USB chip-splitter, and soldered them directly to touchscreen controller' USB-input pins. As a result, there is stable-working system, however the built-in webcam can not be connected, I will order separate USB-hub and connect webcam through it. Most likely, all the problems are because USB-hub in my kit is defective.
Other:
This kit is intended for advanced users, there are no instructions on installation disks with drivers in the package, but DIY manuals and drivers can be found in the Internet.
Bottomline:
Excellent set (if is not defective) for netbook modification. It is especially useful for building Car PC basing on a netbook.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections