DX  » Community » Reviews » UltraFire WF-502B Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory 250-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650/2*CR123A)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
One of the greats! – UltraFire WF-502B Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory 250-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650/2*CR123A) Reviews

posted by sparktastic on 03/27/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
This light has fantastic throw for a 25mm reflector. The drop-in is only mildly OP, which means a reasonably tight hotspot & great throw, with just the right amount of spill for close up work. High, medium and low modes are great, the memory function works as it should. If you turn if off on high mode, the next time you switch it on, it comes on in high mode. The R2 LED is a very cool, slightly blue white. Great spring steel clip A+. Nice annodizing.
Cons:
Useless strobe and SOS modes as usual. Although, I would have to say that the SOS mode is even more useless than normal, since it actually sends SO SO SO! Hmmm, If you were stranded somewhere and you used this flashlight to signal for help, your potential rescuers, assuming they could read morse code in the first place, would go 'So what?'. Doesn't tailstand.
Other:
Nice choice of batteries. On a 18650 cell, the light draws 0.7A (~2.7W) at the tailcap. Should last over 2.5 - 3 hours on high mode. On 2xCR123a, the light draws 0.55A (~3.85W). With CR123a's the light should last 2 - 2.5 hours in high mode. Not sure that there is a great deal of difference in brightness between the battery types. I guess the CR123a's would be slightly brighter. The driver actually seems to be reaonably efficient at 3.7v or 7V. Hope the clicky lasts a while. The switch seems to be the one major weak point in the flashlights nowadays.
Bottomline:
Great value light. Option for future LED/Pill/Driver/Module upgrades. Practical size. One of my favourites so far.. Keep em coming..

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections