DX  » Community » Reviews » UltraFire WF-502B Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory 250-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650/2*CR123A)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Best value in a mid-sized flashlight – UltraFire WF-502B Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory 250-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650/2*CR123A) Reviews

posted by caerlon on 07/09/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
-This is probably the best value you'll find in a mid-sized, standard duty flashlight.
-Compared to a Fenix TK10 (similar light) which costs nearly 5x as much, it is brighter, and offers more functionality by way of the 5-mode switch (see cons).
-Looks good, well-made, waterproof, decent matte anodizing (but not Type-III).
-Functional clip which is also recessed slightly into the body so that it does not interfere with grip.
-fits 18650 sku.5790, or two CR123A rechargeables or primaries.
-R2 P60 drop-in module is worth $10 on its own, so you are only paying around $6 for a P60 host that is pretty nice.
-R2 LED is quite noticeably brighter than my Fenix TK10 (Q5), also slightly cooler tint and sharper focus.
-waterproof (replace/tighten tailcap and check and make sure all the O-Rings are there first -- two 20mm O-Rings on the barrel and two 26mm O-rings in the head).
Cons:
-mushy amorphous black tailcap... i highly recommend you replace this with a new one. any of the 14mm tailcaps will fit - i replaced mine with a 14mm GITD one (sku.05714). the replacement caps need to be turned inside out and about 1.5mm of the rubber post on the inside needs to be trimmed off for proper function.
-when i received mine, the driver had actually come loose on the inside of the P60 module, and had to be soldered back on or the light did not work properly. this only took a couple minutes, and is probably very unlikely to happen on other lights but i thought id mention it. i am sure if i had complained with attached photos DX would have replaced it, but it was easier for me to just fix it myself.
-threads needed lubing. get some dialectric grease and get in the habit of lightly lubing your flashlight threads and O-rings for better function and longer life.
-i dont like the plastic threaded ring that retains the tailcap switch - its extremely soft and the only weak point of the flashlight design.
-this is not a heavy duty flashlight. i would think nothing of dropping an overbuilt flashlight like a Fenix TK10 off a roof and aside from some scuffs and dings it would function fine. this one? i am sure it would easily survive every day home, office and garden use but if you are using this in the line of duty, construction, or remote camping then i would get a heavy duty light instead. if you are on a budget, the WF-503B looks more rugged, otherwise get a Fenix.
Other:
if you just need an EDC flashlight thats bright, versatile and inexpensive then this is probably the best deal youll find. anyone who does not own any higher end lights will be extremely happy with it and think its the best flashlight ever, and flashoholics that DO own better lights will still appreciate its excellent value.
but if your life is going to be depending on this/you actually need to RELY on this, then it is worth it to spend more money on a more expensive, brand name light that will be far more rugged and reliable and have passed through much better quality control.
Bottomline:
get it.
i ordered one, then immediately ordered another as a gift. this is much better than sku.16240 (WF-501B) - design is nicer, has a belt clip, better (matte) anodizing and better machining.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections