DX  » Community » Reviews » UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Nice streamlined P60 host – UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A) Reviews

posted by gearhounds on 01/28/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Streamlined medium weight light that comes with what appears to be sku 11836 Super Bright R2 drop in. Finish seems very tough and is a nice black matte finish instead of the pictured shiny polished one. Threads are well cut and are clean of all anodizing where they should be for good conduction. Strike bezel is just right to not be annoying. Fits protected 18650's easily.
Cons:
Not as beefy as I would have liked, especially at the head where it really ought to be for heat management. Lens was loose upon delivery and the the lens retaining ring is very thin. This P60 does not seem as bright and is cooler tinted than some of the original R2 drop ins I have gotten. Anti-roll knurling only works on flat surfaces. UF please ditch the reverse clicky!
Other:
In all honesty, I bought this light out of curiousity as I have found UF lights to be generally robust and of reasoable quality. I modded the drop in with a Dereelight 1.2A driver and now have a really bright P60 host that fits well in the pocket. I did a light alum foil wrap around the reflector and pill and it seems to help transfer heat.
Bottomline:
You really can't go wrong for less than $17 for a multi-battery P60 platform that is reasoably bright, compact, and eye pleasing. Worth the price of admission.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections