DX  » Community » Reviews » UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Not a bad deal – UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A) Reviews

posted by caerlon on 07/08/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
-the R2 module alone is worth $10, so you basically get a P60 host for another $5 - so when you read my 'cons' keep in mind I am reviewing basically a $5 flashlight.
-CHEAP
-very bright, decent runtime
-it works
-waterproof (see cons)
-fits 18650 sku.5790, or two CR123A rechargeables or primaries.
Cons:
-low quality anodizing, and some of the machined edges like the crown are unpleasantly sharp. the build quality, finish, machining, design and (IMO) matte look of the WF-502Bs is superior.
-mine was missing an O-ring. there are 4 O-rings in the light: 1 under the lens, 1 large one at the head, and two 20mm O-rings on the barrel. one of the 20mm O-rings on mine was missing.
-mushy, amorphous black clicky button.
-while this is superior in every way to something like a Maglite or the average Joe's idea of a flashlight, it is nowhere near as rugged as, say, a Fenix TK10. The aluminum is too thin, anodizing is too poor, etc to survive very hard use.
-only one mode: high. while i really appreciate the simplicity and no-fuss use of such a light, the default high setting is very bright and you dont really need it all the time. if you can deal with the mildly annoying operation, IMO a multi-mode light is better since it allows you to drop down to medium or low if thats all you need, as well as conserving battery life.
Other:
The build quality, finish and look of the WF-502Bs is superior, however this is not a bad light either. id much rather recommend sku.16179
when you receive your light, disassemble it completely and blow out any metal filings, check to see that all of the O-rings are there, and grease the threads and O-rings lightly with dialectric grease.
mine was missing one O-ring on the barrel, i simply replaced it with a GITD one (sku.03449). when first disassembling the light for cleaning/greasing threads i also replaced the mushy black clicky button with sku.5714 (you can use any 14mm tailcap). the replacement tailcaps have a little nub on the inside of the button, for some flashlights - including this one - that needs to be cut off. just turn the cap inside out and use a sharp knife. i only cut about 2/3 of mine off and it gave a nice solid feel to the clicky and looks and works way better than the standard one.
Bottomline:
Its a good light, but there are better lights in its price range to be had here if you look around.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections