DX  » Community » Reviews » EPC-705 7" LCD Android 4.0 Netbook w/ RJ45 / Wi-Fi / Camera / HDMI / SD Slot - Black
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
A very good unit for the price – EPC-705 7" LCD Android 4.0 Netbook w/ RJ45 / Wi-Fi / Camera / HDMI / SD Slot - Black Reviews

posted by CPlummet on 02/09/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
It's been very useful, installing the 'Android Terminal Emulator' app turns it into a (near) full linux netbook. Have added apps for data analysis and plotting (octave and droid plot), typesetting (TeXportal), AndroidVNC (for remotely connecting to my desktop) etc. Have logged data from external instrument on USB port simply via lunix command e.g. 'cat /dev/ttyUSB5 > file' Terminal emulator has most linux commands it seems, e.g. ls, rm, cp, vi, - all without needing to root device. Battery life is 4 to 5 hours or so, depending on use. And yes you can email, browse, skype (built in camera), etc.. Have added 8 Gig SD card, can take up to 32 G. Very light weight and portable. My thanks to the above mentioned app creators.
Cons:
Touchpad sensitivity varies, but it seems better once I increased the speed of cursor movement via settings. I've not worked out all the touchpad gestures - some more documentation - or at least accessible documentation, I've not found it if it exists - would be useful. Small cosmetic defect in upper right of LCD screen on my unit. Looks like a red 'W'. Keyboard layout a bit non-standard but given physical size constraints that may have been unavoidable. Unit shipped with US-style straight pin mains plug (as advertised) - but an Australian plug or adaptor would have been a nice thing to include.
Other:
Everyone I have shown it to at work (gov scientific workplace) has been very impressed, and no-one has guessed it was only $80 - people have suggested $250 and up as the price.
Bottomline:
You probably wouldn't want to use this as your main computer, but when travelling, taking to meetings to reference data quickly, and even for some fairly serious number crunching and typesetting when I am away from my desk, it is really quite an useful and impressive device.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections