DX  » Community » Reviews » MK809 Dual-Core Android 4.1.1 Google TV Player w/ Wi-Fi / 1GB RAM / 4GB ROM - Black
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Good but not THAT good – MK809 Dual-Core Android 4.1.1 Google TV Player w/ Wi-Fi / 1GB RAM / 4GB ROM - Black Reviews

posted by icpero on 02/14/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Very responsive and feature packed for such a small and cheap gadget!
Cons:
You can push it to the limit very quick and you'll want to replace is with something stronger. Maybe some custom ROM would make it better?
Other:
I bought this as a cheap alternative for HTPC (music, pictures, movies and web). But for that to work like I want, you first need to get a solid USB hub with standalone power plug, some device to control it (I think phone could be used for that) and a storage disk. And different power plug adapters if you're not from UK. Lots of additional cables and price of everything together gets tripled.
Bottomline:
I'm still trying it out. New version of XBMC is a no-go, HD movies will stutter there. If i can't play my movie collection smoothly on it I doubt how much use I will get from this thing. I may be forced to shell out 300€ and assemble my own HTPC that covers all of my demands. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections