DX  » Community » Reviews » 5-LED 4-Mode Safety Bike Tail Light with Mount - White Light (2*AAA)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 4
Only expensive white LEDs are bright? – 5-LED 4-Mode Safety Bike Tail Light with Mount - White Light (2*AAA) Reviews

posted by machiya on 09/26/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
It's cheap, it works, it goes through its proper progression of states, and AAA batteries fit reasonably well (after you crush the spring contacts sufficiently).
Cons:
You know how LEDs were once only available in red? There's a reason for that - other colors apparently don't come naturally to them. Previous reviewers have reported this light as intensely blue; I found it to be dimly white. It is substantially dimmer, with freshly charged batteries, than its brother red-LED light is with batteries that were used all week.
Other:
I'm using this as a bike helmet light - sort of a head-taillight - and red would probably have been more appropriate. I was seduced by the novelty of a blue tail light, but I was foolish.
Bottomline:
Bottom line - unless you NEED a light in a color other than red, stick with the red. Even behind a dark lens, the red is brighter.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections