DX  » Community » Reviews » Jobon Oil Lighter with Flints and Protective Hard Case
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Fantastic lighter! – Jobon Oil Lighter with Flints and Protective Hard Case Reviews

posted by JohnnyMac on 03/03/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Solid lighter and classic design. Seems to be well made with nice finish and great build quality. It feels like it will last a VERY long time and is something that can be handed down from father to son. Thoughtful engineering throughout with nicely machined access plugs and O-rings to help fluid last. If you remember the old Ronson style lighters, this one seems like an upgrade to the old classic! From the solid machined feel to the spare flint inside the filler plug. All parts are easily refilled or repaired with nothing more than a coin in your pocket.
Cons:
Not a fault of the lighter in and of itself but more a design characteristic, but sparks from the flint have a longer distance to travel to reach the wick - more so than a Zippo style flint and oil lighter. It may take two or three clicks to light the wick but usually only one.
Other:
Everything about this lighter is solid with the possible exception of the decent case it comes in. While a nice little case, compared to the lighter it holds it just feels a little thin. If you buy it you will see what I mean.
Bottomline:
For the money this is untouchable. This is a knock off of the classic Ronson design. If you have tried to get a Ronson you will find they are not made any longer. Good luck getting a used one in decent shape for a reasonable price. I found this gem and had to get it and I'm not disappointed. Zippo lighters are decent enough but all too common and cliche. They also dry out quickly. This lighter has an O-ring seal to keep the oil from drying out through the wick as well as a seal on the filler plug. I can't recommend this lighter enough. At $10 it's a no brainer. A true classic! Thank you Jobon and DX!!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections