DX  » Community » Reviews » Minix NEO X5 RK3066 Android 4.1 Google TV Player w/ Wi-Fi / TF / 1GB RAM / 16GB ROM / XBMC / US Plug
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
THE Android box to buy. Period! – Minix NEO X5 RK3066 Android 4.1 Google TV Player w/ Wi-Fi / TF / 1GB RAM / 16GB ROM / XBMC / US Plug Reviews

posted by mihijios on 05/23/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
This little box is the main reason I started shopping at DX. As some famed reviewer put it: why buy a cheaper stick-type Android TV, when you will end up buying a USB hub, an ethernet interface etc? Better get everything you need + the kitchen sink in this device. Build quality is pretty good, performance is excellent. Get the remote you prefer from many options available here. I have 2 already, and waiting for the 3rd. The manufacturer gives pretty good support to the unit (something to consider if you are serious about Android TV). Updates, forums, everything.
Cons:
My second unit came with a non-working power supply (I need to post those pictures to ask for a replacement...). Originally, only stereo sound comes out of the HDMI port (+video, of course, but not surround). This is to be fixed on new ROM releases.
Other:
If you use Netflix, subtitles will be VERY small. This is not a Neo X5 issue, but Netflix's. Download the hacked Netflix app from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1178425 and it will be solved. My "smart" Sony TV has never been able to stream DLNA video decently. It just freezes. My NEO X5 can stream my MKV files from my Star Wars blurays (at full resolution) from my NAS with no hiccups at all (something even my bluray player can't because of apparent issues with the discs)
Bottomline:
Forget about "smart" TVs. Get an Android TV box. Get THIS Android TV box. For every TV you own. Give one to a loved one. Spread the word!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections