DX  » Community » Reviews » Customizable Text Handheld LED Message Display Cooling Fan Gadget (3*AA)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 2
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 4
Inexpensive persistence-of-vision toy – Customizable Text Handheld LED Message Display Cooling Fan Gadget (3*AA) Reviews

posted by kpschoedel on 11/29/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Cheapest POV toy I've ever seen.
Bright enough to be visible in daylight.
Cons:
Unreliable buttons.
User interface could be better.
Other:
The display is reasonably stable, but there is visible jitter in the bottom left, where the text begins.
The middle red button cycles between display and programming, and advances the character position during programming. In programming, the upper button cycles through letters, and the lower button cycles through digits. I think it would be better if the upper and lower buttons cycled forward and backward through all characters, since it's easy to miss the right one, especially when the buttons misbehave.
Bottomline:
The main flaw is the unreliable operation of the buttons, especially the 'program' button, which on my unit, often doesn't work, or worse, acts like one of the other buttons. The problem appears to be with the commutators behind the hub that connect the buttons to the controller in the hub of the fan. I found that a workaround is to give the hub a sharp tap with a finger before pressing the 'program' button. Still, it's probably safest to program your messages as soon as you get it; I wouldn't be too surprised if it becomes practically impossible after a bit of wear.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections