DX  » Community » Reviews » 3.5" Front Chassis Bay Embedded SDHC MS/SD/MMC/TF/M2 Card Reader with USB Port
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 2
  • Ease Of Use: 2
  • Usefulness: 3
It works, it's cheap – 3.5" Front Chassis Bay Embedded SDHC MS/SD/MMC/TF/M2 Card Reader with USB Port Reviews

posted by JackNF on 12/15/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
Price cannot be beat for a front panel. I've check and SDHC cards seem to work fine.
Cons:
What's the point of having two SD card slots if you seemingly can only ever use one of them at a time? Most multi-card readers I've seen will show up with a separate "Removable Disc" drive in Windows for each slot, but this seems to have one drive appear and whatever card you put in first will show up as that drive. Populating both SD slots resulted in only one being accessible, and I imagine the other card slots on here would be in the same situation. At least using both a card slot and the USB at the same time seems to work.
Also the cable for the internal USB connector to the motherboard is a bit short. I had to put it in a different bay than I'd planned because it was just ever so slightly shorter than it'd need to be, an extra inch would have been more than enough but sadly that wasn't the case. YMMV.
Other:
Don't try to force an SD card in label side up, it took me a moment to figure out that the SD card slots are not incredibly tight, just unexpectedly upside down.
Bottomline:
For $5 I can't really complain much. It's cheap, seems to work, but definitely has some... peculiarities. If I were buying again I'd spring for something a little better, but it's not quite so bad as to make me want to replace it now that I've got it.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections