DX  » Community » Reviews » Carbon Steel Manual-Release Folding Knife with Clip (22cm Full-Length)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Excellent Emerson replica – Carbon Steel Manual-Release Folding Knife with Clip (22cm Full-Length) Reviews

posted by RevolverOcelot on 06/23/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
I originally bought this knife because I love wave-opening knives - particularly Emerson knives - and I wanted to examine the quality of this Emerson Commander replica. Having thoroughly tested this knife, I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised and satisfied by this knife's excellent build quality. When I first received this knife, the blade was in perfect condition, was razor-sharp straight out of the box and had zero blemishes. Overall, the knife is well-built and has excellent fit and finish. For those who don't know, the wave function on this knife is the "horn" notch just above the thumbwheel. This knife is meant to be carried inside a pocket and when the knife is pulled out from the pocket, the wave opener is meant to snag the pocket seam and automatically deploy the blade as it leaves your pocket; making it perfect for self-defence and situations where you need to open the knife with one hand. I've tested the wave opener on this knife repeatedly and every single time it opens the blade perfectly.
Cons:
The liner lock is a bit "soft" but still manages to lock the blade firmly in place with no play at all. The thumbwheel screw is not black like the rest of the blade but this is minor aesthetic gripe and I really can't think of anything wrong with this knife. Obviously, this knife does not have the same material and build quality as the genuine Emerson Commander but it's still an impressive knife for only $8.
Other:
This knife is my second-favourite DX knife so far (the first being SKU 9199). The large blade is a bit hard to flick open with your thumb but the wave opener opens the blade quickly with an authoratative and intimidating "snap". Despite a spelling mistake on the logo, this knife has realistic markings just like the real Emerson Commander. It is even shipped in an Emerson box!
Bottomline:
This knife is a replica of Emerson's popular Commander knife which normally sells for approximately $200 USD. If you cannot afford the real knife but still want to fool your friends, this knife is the next best thing.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections