DX  » Community » Reviews » 9" USB Touch Screen Digitizer DIY Mod Kit for Asus Eee PC 900 UMPC Laptops
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Awesome! – 9" USB Touch Screen Digitizer DIY Mod Kit for Asus Eee PC 900 UMPC Laptops Reviews

posted by ozjodo on 07/09/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
The screen came packaged very well apart from some of the protective plastic film peeling a little in the corners, the screen was in perfect condition.
Mine came as one piece as well and included a cable that would fit in a USB port. With a little switching around, I was able to use that cable as the "USB in", connect the ribbon to the "Touch" cable, tape the touch screen to my 900A EEE PC (yes to the outside) and then connect the USB to one of my USB ports to give it a test run before I took anything apart. WOW Windows 7 picked it up right away and I was able to see the screen in action...
Cons:
... except that Windows 7 was not doing a very good job mapping the touches. I couldn't find a way to calibrate the touch screen using the native Windows 7 driver, so I took meiansan's advice and downloaded the drivers here: http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eg/drivers.htm
Other:
This external method for using the touch screen will work for me until I manage to put the LCD and touch screen in my car for my car PC. Even with the protective plastic film still on, the touch screen seems adequately responsive.
The on screen keyboard for Windows 7 has also been seriously revamped. It works great with this touch screen and even can do predictive text. I keep it pinned to my taskbar for easy access.
Bottomline:
Seriously if you're planning to build a car PC from a EEE PC, this is a good way to do it. Now I just need to find a way to mount the screens in my car and get them to work in direct sunlight... but that's a battle for another day!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections