DX  » Community » Reviews » Touch Screen Digitizer for Asus Eee PC 901/904 UMPC Laptops
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 5
Works great! No Worries! – Touch Screen Digitizer for Asus Eee PC 901/904 UMPC Laptops Reviews

posted by jim291phantom on 05/11/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
This is without a doubt the cheapest touchscren upgrade on the market for the Eee 901. But that's not the good news. The good news is that it works great!
The screen is thin, approximately 1mm, so its important to be patient and careful when fitting it but I've had no trouble with bowing or any other issues.
The screen maintains good calbiration - I did a 25 point calibration when I first installed it but I'm pretty fanatical and needed to do some drawing but you can probably get away with a 9 point or even a 4 point for most purposes and be confident that it will hold its cal.
The controller fits nicely on the underside of the mobo in the same spot where JKKmobile sticks the controller card in his youtube video but it so much easier that what he has to do because it's solderless. Still it's not for for the absolute novice there are 23 screws, 2 ZIF connectors and 2 mini JST connectors plus the small matter of a voided warranty to deal with in order to fit the thing. But if that doesn't daunt you. You're good to go!
Oh! and it adds 2 internal USB ports these are awesome (but check below for a minor warning). Your next upgrade will be so much easier 3g Dongle, onboard GPS, more (cheap) storage you name it..
Cons:
No Intstructions - It has to be said the kit doesn't come with instructions but there is so much info out there. Check out JKKmobile's Youtube Video then check it out again... repeat as needed.
There are two extra USB ports on the controller card like I said these are great but Be careful! The first time I connected something to one of them (other than the Eee's webcam) I wrecked it! It turns out that even though the wires that connect the webcam to controller are in the USB convention (red,white,green,black) the actual scheme was backwards! this was no problem for the webcam but when I copied the scheme, made up a connector and attached the receiver for my wireless mouse that was the end of it. The touchscreen controller and all three USB ports still worked but I now have a wireless mouse with no receiver. My fault I should have reached for the multimeter first but maybe someone else will benefit from my mistake.
Other:
Bluetooth? there's no bluetooth here and you don't need it either 901s already have it.
Bottomline:
Works great. what more is there to say?
Well I just thought of something... Dealextreme packed my kit very well. Lots of Foam and stiff cardboard awesomw work!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections