DX  » Community » Reviews » Touch Screen Digitizer for Asus 10" Eee PC 1000 UMPC Laptops
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 5
Nice addon for netbooks, quality could be better – Touch Screen Digitizer for Asus 10" Eee PC 1000 UMPC Laptops Reviews

posted by Xarinatan on 09/30/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
It's a seriously fun feature to add to your netbook, and useful when reading things like PDFs or scrolling through photos and stuff.
Cons:
It's kinda hard to install, not that it's technically hard, The installation kinda speaks for itself, cover your screen with the translucent layer carefully(Glass!), and connect the wire to the webcam USB outlet. But the actual process is hard, cause portable computers, especially netbooks, are made tight fit, all parts use almost 100% of the casing they're in, thus leaving the modder to find a alternative way to hide the extra component(s). The screen is hard to calibrate, somehow the X axis was inverted, and the touch doesn't sense the position of my finger right, like, even if you calibrated it right, the right top corner of your screen is still a good inch to the left of your finger, while it works perfectly in the left bottom. (Yes i'm sure i didn't turn the screen around, cause i tried to turn it around and the screen wouldn't work otherwise anyway.) Not multitouch compatible, It's resistance based rather then capacitive, thus only one point will be measured, although that DOES mean you can use any stylus or plastic object of your nail on it to control it.
Other:
I don't think the hub is working correctly.. My camera isn't showing up anymore. I'll try other ports soon though. I found the best way to hide the hub/control chip is UNDER the motherboard at the left side of the netbook (in the 1000H), there's a hole in the motherboard that allows some wires to run through it.. I didn't watch any tutorial, I have way too much ego for that 8d
Bottomline:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it, Charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, Snap it, work it, quick - erase it, Write it, cut it, paste it, save it, Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it, Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it, Lock it, fill it, call it, find it, View it, code it, jam - unlock it. -- Nice thing, but expect as much as you'd get for the price. And make sure you're good with this kinda hardware and mods, average computer users will probably break their netbooks if they try this mod.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections