DX  » Community » Reviews » Car Electromagnetic Back-up Parking Sensor - Black (DC 12V)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Works OK, can be better documented – Car Electromagnetic Back-up Parking Sensor - Black (DC 12V) Reviews

posted by octinum on 06/15/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
- Good price/performance ratio (i.e. cheap and works fine) - Easy installation once you remove the bumper. - Very sensitive for small distances. Starts continuous beep at about 10cm so you know when you are *really* close. Ultrasonic sensors have a hard time detecting under 30cm. - Does not beep when vehicle is not moving. More usable tan ultrasonic ones in front bumper. - No holes on the bumper, completely hidden from outside. - Everything needed is inside the box contents.
Cons:
- Documentation could be better. - "Only beeps when moving" concept might take time to get used to (took me one day). - Mine starts beeping at about 40 cm, so shorter range than ultrasonic sensors, though it might be because I couldn't install it quite right (which is why I talked about documentation).
Other:
You need to measure your bumper before starting installation. The higher-price kits' documentation states that it should be fitted between 40 to 60cm from ground. I installed it at almost 60cm, so the lower side of my bumper is still in danger. You should also install it almost around the entire bumper. Leave 10-15cm from rear wheelhouses. Mine extends only 10-15cm to the sides of the bumper so I can not detect everything. These are not written in the documentation so do your research before installing. Apart from that, I've been driving for 15 years and am used to drive without parking sensors. So I already can feel the half-meter-gap. This kit helps me identify much closer distances. If you want longer range instead of sensitivity in close distances, opt for the ultrasonic ones. It also needs a slow-but-almost-steady rear motion to work. If you stop, you don't hear any beeps. If you go too fast, it might be too late for you to respond to beeps.
Bottomline:
Much more preferrable to ultrasonic sensors. Price is low and you don't do any damage to your bumper when installing, so it's worth a try. Will buy a second kit for my front bumper.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections