DX  » Community » Reviews » Fiio PS1110 Walkbox Portable Stereo Speaker - 3.5mm Jack (USB/AC/2*AAA Powered)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Great at higher volumes, not so much at lower – Fiio PS1110 Walkbox Portable Stereo Speaker - 3.5mm Jack (USB/AC/2*AAA Powered) Reviews

posted by s002cjs on 03/04/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
I'm mixed on this little speaker. First, it has an amazing volume capability in such a tiny package. To be able to carry something this loud, with decent sound quality, in your pocket is a huge advantage.
It offers a great variety of powering options...the USB power is flexible for any USB output you've got, and AAA's seem to last a long time.
Cons:
BUT, the biggest 'Con' of these for me...there is a static distortion that accompanies any sound coming through the system! This is especially problematic since I like to listen to audiobooks, and since they have such a limited range of sound they're using at any given time, the buzzing is extremely annoying.
Changing sources, lines, and power source, all indicate that this seems to be a problem in the electronics of the system (amplifier?), particularly since there is NO buzzing or static if the unit is simply powered on or no sound is being passed through.
Other:
I'm extremely disappointed...the quality of Fiio's in-line amplifiers had me hoping for something of similar quality. As it is, the buzzing is just too annoying for my uses (if you're going to blast a room full of music, it probably wouldn't be a problem). I believe I'd be better off putting together my own small speakers tied in with an excellent Fiio in-line amplifier.
Bottomline:
Disappointed by the buzzing, particularly present at lower volumes or during audiobooks or spoken word. Other reports (in discussion on this board) indicate that this is not isolated (otherwise I might have paid for another one to see if it was any better).

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections