DX  » Community » Reviews » Hobbymate HB2835-H 3800KV Brushless Motor for 450 Helicopters
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 2
  • Usefulness: 4
Motor that packs heat – Hobbymate HB2835-H 3800KV Brushless Motor for 450 Helicopters Reviews

posted by ZdenekJi on 06/06/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
This motor comes with all the necessary accessories - banana connectors, screws, washers (which I didn't use), a 13T pinion and its set-screw. It arrived in great shape, shiny and flawless.
I decided to use this to upgrade my Blade 400 (450-size). The heli appears to have been fitted with a 400-class motor - a thin shaft and no turbine on the back. So I ordered this.
My fix is a success, the heli is much stronger now. But it didn't come without pain, see the cons.
Cons:
The motor is not intended for a B400, so consider this irrelevant if you have some compatible heli, I guess it would be a T-rex.
First of all, I needed to get the engine mounting off the old motor. This was a PITA since they must have used epoxy of some sort for the thread-locker. I recommend that you buy an extra engine mounting if you want to do this upgrade. But then, the two screws that came with the motor to fix it to the mounting were too short. I solved this by drilling recesses in the diameter of the heads into the mounting until I got about 3.5mm of the threadings poking out of the opposite side. You could buy some strength screws of the size M2.5×10 to avoid this.
Next I had to file the flattening on the shaft for the set-screw so that it would reach nearer to the clip. I finally had to file away about 1.5mm of the teeth on the pinion from the top so that it wouldn't hit the lower autorotation wheel of the helicopter.
Other:
I don't know how they came up with the 13 teeth count, but it works well for me.
My motor arrived as 3800Kv as shown on the photos.
Bottomline:
If you need serious power for your model, look no further.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections