DX  » Community » Reviews » Regulated CV/CC LED Driver Circuit Board for Cree MC-E/SSC P7 Emitters (8.4V Max Input)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 5
Reasonable Preformance – Regulated CV/CC LED Driver Circuit Board for Cree MC-E/SSC P7 Emitters (8.4V Max Input) Reviews

posted by budy500000 on 04/27/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
i did not notice a difference in brightness in my spider fire p7 when using this driver vs driving the flashlight threw a 2ohm resistor using a 8.4 volt rc car battery. the driver is more efficient than the resistors i was using. (the 20w resistor got very hot)
Cons:
driver does work as is but could be made better by the addition of a low value ceramic capacitor parell to the large electrolytic input and output caps i used a couple of 50v .01uf caps. adding the caps nearly eliminates the drivers hissing.
the 2 diodes marked ss24 get to hot to touch after a while but it did not shutoff and the diodes are rated for 125degrees Celsius so i don't think they are going to fail. that said i plan on heat sinking them to be sure there will be no problems in the future
Other:
notes on testing
i tested it for about 30min after my mods
all tests where done with a 8.4 volt rc battery
i did not have the driver in the flash light (will not fit in a spiderfire) but the p7 was securely mounted and heat sinked in the flashlight. sorry i did not measure the current to the led and don't plan to it does not seem to greatly effect brightness.
Bottomline:
im happy with it. it is cheaper than i could have made it myself and the parts i used to modify it where extremely common and easy enough to find in old broken devices i had laying around
never direct drive a led without some sort of current limiter weather it is a driver like this one or a resistor of the propper value.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections