DX  » Community » Reviews » i-Baby Mini 0.8" LCD Screen Quadband GSM Children Cell Phone
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
A lot of fun for kids -- and parents! – i-Baby Mini 0.8" LCD Screen Quadband GSM Children Cell Phone Reviews

posted by clotsoc on 12/17/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Great build quality. Packed full of fun features. Really works. Very cute look -- so my girls love them. Lots of useful features: :: Program to be off during school hours :: Find out where your child is (or at least which pre-defined location the cell phone is near) -- it claims 50-300m accuracy :: Set maximum call time :: Even turn it off :: Or set the volume :: Or the numbers it calls from each preset button :: Even the ringtones ... all by sending text messages from the uber-parent's phone. Perfect for the anxious or controlling parent!
Cons:
The child can still loose it ... then it's no use! Charger uses a USB cable (that's OK) but if I plug it into my computer to charge the phone, the computer complains about a malfunctioning USB connection and beeps at me until I pull out the cable. The manual does not mention any 'data' use for the USB cable. Could be cheaper -- then good would be great!
Other:
After putting in the SIM and battery you are directed to set up the guardian's (uber-parent's) phone number. After that the i-baby sends a text to the uber-parent with the format of SMS commands (very obliging). So if you are using a new SIM that needs to be registered first, best to do that on a regular phone before putting it in the i-baby. The (small) charger comes with US/China mains pins ... easy enough to bend to local (New Zealand) style.
Bottomline:
You know you want one -- your 7 year-old definitely does.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections