Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month
- Really nice size, accepts CR123A and 16340 Li-Ion cells (caution note below for protected cells)
- Simple design, decent finish
- nice flood type beam, good for a pocket light.
- Nice host for upgrades (see below).
Very inefficient LED, produces lots of heat and some cold white light, not
- OP (aluminum-plated plastic) reflector
- plastic lens
- boost driver means it's unregulated above ~3.4V, essentially the full useable range of a 16340 Li-Ion cell.
- gets very warm when running on a fresh Li-Ion cell.
- May bot work with all protected 16340 cells; in my case it didn't screw down far enough to turn on
For me it's the modding potential and compact size that attracted my attention. Mine is now using an XM-L T6 LED. Check out my forum post below for details and future plans.
5-Star usefullness was for being mod-ready.
As-is, this is an OK flashlight for up-close use. I'd like to see a dedicated Li-Ion version using a Cree XR-E or XM-L LED and a standard linear (AMC7135-based) driver board (around 1000mA) to get 200 to 350 lumens.
The current reflector is OK, but an SMO would sweeten it up nice. A $10-12 price tag and it would be a cheap pocket sun.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.