View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 3
Works well, but not great – RJ45/RJ11 Network and Telephone Cable Tester Reviews

posted by Roland83 on 01/01/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
It works as advertised. Build quality is adequate, the plastic casing is not the best. Connectors feel sturdy enough. When a cable is tested, the LEDs on the device and on the remote end blink simultaneously when the internal connectors in the cable are connected. The LEDs blink one after the other, so the circuitry in the device is very simple. And there is a slow mode, where the LEDs blink.. slower. It works fine, and the price is unbeatable. The EXACT SAME MODEL costs 16.95 euros in The Netherlands.... That says enough, I think.
Cons:
As said, the LEDs blink simultaneously, the slow mode is necessary. You need quite a lot of force to operate the ON-OFF button. I hope it will last long.. The battery compartment is too big for the 9V-battery, so the battery will move around in the space while operating the device. There is a soft piece of foam to protect the battery, but it doesn't cover the whole battery compartment. This doesn't affect the performance of the device, it just feels cheap.
Finally, I think the pouch for this device was black once, now it is black with some white spots because it is not very sturdy. It feels cheap and fragile.
Other:
Usefulness is a difficult one in reviews here. The device is useful, because it works as advertised. Only the ease of use of the ON-OFF button takes down the usefulness rating, as does the speed of the device. There are other devices that test all cables within one second and show which cables are disconnected with LEDs. This one takes 5 seconds and shows disconnected cables when there is no LED blinking. Maybe I shouldn't complain this much, because this device is cheap.
Bottomline:
Don't expect any luxury for this price, just a device that does it's job.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections