DX  » Community » Reviews » Seagull Remote Slave Trigger for Digital Camera SYK-5
Sort by:
18 Reviews SEARCH
  • 5 Star:448 (44%)
  • 4 Star:448 (44%)
  • 3 Star:61 (6%)
  • 2 Star:61 (6%)
  • 1 Star:00 (0%)

write a review, and get DXPoints

94% of customers would recommend this product to a friend.

• Overall Rating: 4
    • Price: 5
    • Quality: 4
    • Ease Of Use: 4
    • Usefulness: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    A real cost-saver for multiple flashes

posted by topflight on 07/03/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
    This is a very inexpensive option for wireless flash triggers involving modern digital cameras.
    Cons:
    Can fall apart easily, but goes back just as easily. Does not work in sunlight or with bright overhead lights. Takes some finag...
    View Detail » 
    • Price: 3
    • Ease Of Use: 3
    • Usefulness: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    works well

posted by Tinou74650 on 06/12/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
    Works well, fit on a tripod and can carry a standard flashlight. The cell goes on the front, you have to take it in account when you put the flashlight on the scene.
    Cons:
    you have to trim the delay for the preflash: I use the red eye mode. Keep in mind that you loose the the TTL (throught the lens...
    View Detail » 
    • Price: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    a good one

posted by salcudean on 10/04/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
    Cheap, easy to use. Allows to experiment with off camera flash mounted on a light stand [metal thread] - PC sync connector that makes it useful with cameras that does not have hot shoe.
    Cons:
    It does not have a system to block the flash on it. That would be useful for different small flashes.
    View Detail » 
    • Quality: 3
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    works with my canon 430exii!

posted by badtzdiana on 10/20/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Novice (still getting used to it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
    finally found a small gadget to trigger my canon 430exii and still can use with my pop up flash to trigger it! Was using a Rf remote control to trigger my canon flash externally and popup flash not able to be used when trigger is mounted on camera's hotshoe.
    Cons:
    it fores when my pop up flash fires pre-flash!! Still trying to figure out how to disable the pre flash on my 50D.
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 2
    • Quality: 5
    • Usefulness: 1
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Camera dependant

posted by Osramp on 06/02/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
    Cheap, no batteries. Very easy to use and rather well built. Looks very professional.
    Cons:
    It will depend on the camera you own, if it will work properly. It trigges my old Metz Mecablitz allright, but it is always lat...
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 3
    • Price: 2
    • Quality: 2
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Works with some limitations

posted by yoolio on 02/08/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
    - works with most point and shoots (at least all I have tried) - easy way to experiment with of camera flash - allows to use slave flashes with cameras without hot shoe - metal thread to mount it on tripods
    Cons:
    - rather poor build quality (some glueing was needed on all units I received) - don't work with my 450D in pre-flash mode with ...
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 5
    • Quality: 3
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    SYK-5 + G9 + old Vivitar 283 = Nice Light

posted by fhecker on 12/10/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
    It works. I've set G9 to Manual flash mode, Minimum output (Red-eye reduction is off.) SYK-5 is set to flash (not redeye) mode. I have a homebrew white plastic diffuser (round 8" food container) rigged in front of flash. Loverly diffuse light...
    Cons:
    Had to try out various settings on SYK-5, G9 & Vivitar flash, but it wasn't too painful. Occasionally unit does fire off a ...
    View Detail » 
    • Ease Of Use: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    works w/ Canon 430EX

posted by fanyangto2 on 12/01/2008 Certified Owner

Pros:
    Confirmed working with my Canon 430EX. The flash can be triggered continuously without turning off and on the flash. That was a problem haunting SYK-3 and most optical triggers on the market today. Confirmed that even with the delay dial turned down to the ...
    Cons:
    Strangely, even when the red-eye reduction switch is off, the flash trigger behavior is still affected by the delay dial. If I...
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Nice little flash trigger

posted by falcon_1898 on 11/18/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
    Easy to set up...well there is no setup really, just insert the flash, and off you go. The flash sync port is extremely useful. I use mine with the Yinyan BY-28ZP bought from DX. The hot shoe on that flash is a little finicky, so the pc-sync port is really ...
    Cons:
    Perhaps due to rough handling during shipping, the unit came defective. I could feel there's something loose/springy inside, an...
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    A perfect REMOTE SLAVE TRIGGER

posted by ruverto on 11/08/2008 Certified Owner

Pros:
    Wonderful trigger hot shoe Easy to use and fast to set up. Just slip your flash unit in the hotshoe and start shooting.
    Cons:
    The red-eye function is a bit problematic. It's just a simple delay but you have to experiment a little before you get it right...
    View Detail » 
Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections