DX  » Community » Reviews » Seagull Remote Slave Trigger for Digital Camera SYK-5
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
Nice little flash trigger – Seagull Remote Slave Trigger for Digital Camera SYK-5 Reviews

posted by falcon_1898 on 11/18/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Easy to set up...well there is no setup really, just insert the flash, and off you go.
The flash sync port is extremely useful. I use mine with the Yinyan BY-28ZP bought from DX. The hot shoe on that flash is a little finicky, so the pc-sync port is really nice to trigger that flash.
The hot shoe works fine with my 430EX.
It's a Seagull - good brand
Cons:
Perhaps due to rough handling during shipping, the unit came defective. I could feel there's something loose/springy inside, and it didn't work as described - will only trigger when I tap the outter case.
So I pried open the back cover, and found that one of the leads to the photocell came undone. Nothing a little soldering won't do though.
Does not really work with TTL flash metering, as the first pulse will trigger the slave. In other words, normal mode is too fast for TTL, and redeye mode is too slow for TTL. So you have to use manual flash, which isn't really a problem, because you expect to grab quick snapshots when playing with multiple flashes anyway...there's setup time.
Other:
I contacted DX reporting the defect, but no one answered. I think DX has out-grew its capacity, and that really compromises high quality customer service it used to have eve a year ago.
Since the redeye function isn't really used for me, I wonder if I should've gotten a cheaper version.
Bottomline:
Very nice little flash slave trigger!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections