DX  » Community » Reviews » Traditional Handcrafted Bamboo Flute with Flute Diaphragm (F-Key)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 4
Works! – Traditional Handcrafted Bamboo Flute with Flute Diaphragm (F-Key) Reviews

posted by 596phey on 05/29/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
-Cheap! -Surprisingly well tuned -Unique sound(opposed to western flutes)
Cons:
-I had no idea how to use it for 1,5 years(no instructions!) Price wise, I can't think of any other cons
Other:
I had no idea how to use this flute until I met world famous flute player Steinar Ofsdal at a seminar. I brought my flute and he gave me a pack of flute diaphragms. You have to carefully cut the diaphragm in the middle(so that it's not two layers, but one), and then use something sticky(saliva, or a saliva mixed with a bit of sugar) and use it to cover the second hole from the top. Then it works! (the diaphragm gives the flute a "kazoo" edge. Real nice.
Bottomline:
I love this flute now. I'm a happy amateur who just likes to sit and play random stuff, but I really like the sound of this flute. If you don't want to use the diaphragm(it can be a bit of a hassle to get it to work sometimes), you can simply cover the hole with a piece of tape. I hoped I helped somebody with this review!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections