• Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Wanna do macro? Get this. – Macro Lens Adapter for Canon Reviews

posted by angusW on 03/13/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
You can't beat the price considering the canon extension tubes probably cost around $150. Not much to them so they are easy to use. They are indeed metal. There are three tubes that you can use individually or stack them in different combinations.
Cons:
No electrical contacts so forget about auto focus and changing the aperture. Instructions are in simplified Chinese.
Other:
I've been using this with a Rebel XT and a Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6. Just using this lens without the tubes, you can focus down to 350mm from the front of the lens to the subject. With all three tubes I can get down to about 45mm. I was taking a picture of a Canadian quarter and it would completely fill the lens using the tubes. For $10 the choice of macro shot greatly increases. Even though the instructions are in Chinese there is a chart. The canon tubes will give you auto focus and aperture change, but when you do macro you generally want to be wide open and you should manually focus anyways.
Bottomline:
If you want to do macro then quit thinking about it ya cheapskate. Get the darn tubes already. You'll be happy.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections