write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Macro fun for a good price – Macro Lens Adapter for Canon Reviews

posted by swinginswirlie on 05/05/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
- inexpensive!
- all metal construction
- light
- seems strong enough
Cons:
- rings aren't quite aligned properly, some are offset a little
- locking nub for the lens side is pretty flimsy and loose
- tubes can start unscrewing when you twist the zoom ring on a zoom lens
Other:
As others have said, this is an EF/EF-S mount. I'm using it on my Canon Rebel XTi (400D).
The manual is in Chinese, but has an easy to understand chart if you need it. I didn't spend much time looking at it, though, just started shooting and experimenting.
The mis-alignment of some of the rings is pretty minor and doesn't affect picture quality. Zooming can sometimes start unscrewing the tubes if you haven't screwed them tight enough. The locking nub isn't very solid. I've accidentally unlocked my lens from the tubes before.
These are all metal, which is great, but because of that they will squeal and screech when you screw them together. That's not a pretty sound.
Electrical contacts would be nice, but don't really need them. They'd just bump the price up, anyway. No electrical contacts means your lenses will be at full aperture, so depending on your lens, you could have a tiny depth of field.
Bottomline:
Despite the cons, which are more like quirks, these are great little macro extension tubes. Get them and have fun with macro!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections