DX  » Community » Reviews » 3.5mm Stereo Audio Cable Male-Male (1-Meter)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Different Cable? OK quality – 3.5mm Stereo Audio Cable Male-Male (1-Meter) Reviews

posted by okwchin on 02/25/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Its a pretty good cable in principle. Obviously easy to use, and the cable is made of a pretty soft material (more on that later). This cable has been described as being too thin, but I believe is just right (or could be thinner). Its measured at 2.3mm thick and is a good smooth matte finish, pretty standard for cables.. what more can be said. The cable however is ONLY about half a meter long. An original purchase I made last year provided me with a 1m long cable, but this one is significantly shorter. This can be a good thing, or not, depending on what you want to use it for. THe plugs are good becasue they are small, and the cable relief is not excessively stiff so you get a good compact plug.
Cons:
This cable is shorter than described, about half a meter in total length. The cable I also suspect is unshielded, which is possibly why it can be quite flexible... but this is unconfirmed as I haven't cut one up yet. If course you cant expect these cable to take significant abuse, but it should hold up ok to a reasonable level of use The plugs are OK in quality. They plastic moulding has some flash that isnt exactly aesthetic, but not difficult to fix up with a sharp knife. THe metal contacts are not the most inert metal and arrived with some degree of oxidation, which Did result in a poor contact and "crackling" of the audio signal if moved. Removal of the oxide layer did provide for a good contact, but this is an effect of a lower cost metal contact. Pay for what you get.
Other:
Overall my first cable that was 1m long was a very nice cable, but the newer ones (2010) are shorter than expected and appear to be of a lower grade in quality. They are still very nice cables just not as great as they once were.
Bottomline:
Bottomline - If your after some cheap cables and are not too concerned about absolute performance and not too concerned about interference, they work fine I still love the very flexible and pliable feel of the cables and the compact connector, so I'm still somewhat happy with the cables. Not a big investment, give them a go.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections