DX  » Community » Reviews » USB-over-RJ45 USB 2.0 Power Boosted Extension Adapters - Pair (150ft/45m max)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Great USB 1.1 extender – USB-over-RJ45 USB 2.0 Power Boosted Extension Adapters - Pair (150ft/45m max) Reviews

posted by CanadaCG on 12/08/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Novice  (still getting used to it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Very inexpensive way to extend a USB cable over long distances. "Plug and Play" - you don't have to install drivers or anything - "it just works". Reliable and well-built.
Cons:
Only USB 1.1 speeds - there is no support for USB 2 so will cause a Windows station to give the "slow USB" message when something is connected.
Other:
If these would support USB 2, they would be "the perfect little device." However, even though they are limited to USB 1.1, they work very well. I used mine to connect a Windows computer to a device called a SMART Board (sort of an electronic, touch-sensitive whiteboard used in a school) and they have been working very well. I was able to use low-cost CAT-5 cable for the 50' extension instead of a bunch of hubs and long cables. Very handy to have.
Bottomline:
If your connected device does not require USB 2 then these are the way to go if you have a long USB run that has to be done. Reliable and connects without hassle, drivers, or problems. A very useful device. And at 1/2 the price of the ones we can get in Canada!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections