DX  » Community » Reviews » USB to RS232 Adapter with USB Extension Cable (41CM Length)
Sort by:
15 Reviews SEARCH
  • 5 Star:406 (40%)
  • 4 Star:609 (60%)
  • 3 Star:00 (0%)
  • 2 Star:00 (0%)
  • 1 Star:00 (0%)

write a review, and get DXPoints

100% of customers would recommend this product to a friend.

• Overall Rating: 4
    • Price: 5
    • Quality: 4
    • Ease Of Use: 2
    • Usefulness: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Good converter, crappy cable

posted by Cubytus on 07/26/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
    A very affordable way to add a serial port to a USB-only computer. Converter itself is well-built and seems sturdy.
    Cons:
    No indication as to what the controller is inside. This is important for many USB-to-serial applications. Extension cable is...
    View Detail » 
    • Quality: 3
    • Ease Of Use: 4
    • Usefulness: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    good but had to use good drivers

posted by GarthPS on 01/27/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
    it is a good price
    Cons:
    The quality is not that good . it is fragile. already broke one. Driver installation under windows 7 are not working out of the...
    View Detail » 
    • Ease Of Use: 3
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Good product, but comes with a few caveats

posted by NicknameInUse on 12/09/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
    The price is competitive and the unit comes with an extension cord and driver cd. Build quality is "unpolished" (some sharp edges, not so neat finishing, etc) but very sturdy. After a bit of tinkering it -mostly- does what it should do.
    Cons:
    As confirmed by Prolific, the PL-2303 chip is not an original, but a copy. This means you won't be able to use the latest offi...
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    It works!

posted by bob91343 on 11/22/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
    Unit works as advertised. I am amazed that something sophisticated like this is so inexpensive, but that's DX's reputation.
    Cons:
    No instructions; I had to figure it out. The first one I ordered didn't work. DX was very good and sent me another. This one...
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 5
    • Ease Of Use: 4
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    cheap usb rs232

posted by dxlooka on 06/05/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
    -price, definitivly -extension cable included -works with win 7x64 with driver from internet: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/download/546/win_drivers.zip
    Cons:
    -does not work with win7 out of the box. -not really well-made, very sharp DB9 connector (could shape bisquits with it:), also ...
    View Detail » 
    • Ease Of Use: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Not true RS232

posted by critiacrof on 06/08/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
    -great product, my pc doen't have a serial port, so this product is very usefull. -great price. At a local store you pay 10 times as much. -small size -includes a usb extention cable -includes driver cd
    Cons:
    -not a very riggid contruction. In falls appart very easily. -not true rs232, it only has positive levels. -cable is not good i...
    View Detail » 
    • Overall Rating: 5
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Perfect for microcontroller projects

posted by bhassett on 09/08/2010 Certified Owner

Pros:
    I had no trouble using it with any Operating System. Works in Ubuntu without any drivers, shows as a ttyUSB device. To use in Debian or any similar Linux, you may need to add the standard modules usbserial and pl2303. To use in XP or Vista, insert the suppl...
    Cons:
    There is absolutely no user guide. The serial port is not officially RS232 because it only supports positive voltages. However ...
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    With MAX211

posted by verleihnix on 07/29/2010 Certified Owner

Pros:
    The 3 I got have a Max 211 or a ADM211. These two ICs are RS232 line driver to meet the specifications of RS232. Levels are -10V to 10V. If you want to use it in a microcontroller project you have 2 possibilities to get it working: 1. use another level driv...
    Cons:
    Some solderings are very bad. I solved this with a few more solder. Now it has a level driver. So you have to remove it if you ...
    View Detail » 
    • Quality: 2
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    Ok but you get what you pay for

posted by xSmurf on 05/26/2010 Certified Owner

Pros:
    This is a simple USB <> RS232 converter. Not much to say here. It's the cheapest one available on DX an as others report it's PL2303 based which has wide driver support (now a days).
    Cons:
    The PL2303 IC is actually a blob of epoxy (and a generic Maxim level converter) making it harder to to this adaptor for DIY USB...
    View Detail » 
    2 DXPoints
    earned for this post
    It is not USB to RS232 adapter

posted by reueuse on 05/23/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
    It is cheap and could be used to some electronic hobby project. Can be connected directly to 5V logic and also to 3.3V logic but additional changes are probably required to protect target circuit.
    Cons:
    In accordance with the title this is not true USB to RS232 adapter, as the outputs voltage levels does not meet the criteria fo...
    View Detail » 
Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections