DX  » Community » Reviews » PC Monitor HDTV VGA Cable for PS3/Wii (1.2-Meter)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Works great with Wii, nice picture, recommended. – PC Monitor HDTV VGA Cable for PS3/Wii (1.2-Meter) Reviews

posted by txtworld on 09/25/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
This cable delivers top picture quality when I use my Wii via the VGA input on my LED LCD HDTV.
I haven't tried my PS3 with this cable, as there's no need for it. Given the PS3 natively supports HDMI, I naturally connect my PS3 to my HDTV via the HDMI inputs.
Cons:
As described in "Other Thoughts" below, there is a green RCA lead which can be connected to the TV's composite video input. This is handy when initially setting up your Wii to output a 480p video signal. Whilst this RCA works well for setup purposes only (its intended use), it delivers a B/W composite video signal. For those spoilt kiddies who've grown up having never seen or used the abbreviation B/W, it stands for "Black and White". That is, a greyscale picture, no colour.
Of course, after you've set your Wii to output a 480p video signal, you'll then switch your HDTV's input signal (using your TV remote) from the Composite Video to the VGA signal, and then marvel at your Wii's display in glorious crisp, detailed VGA colours.
It would be nice though, if the composite video signal was a colour signal ... sure, it's meant for setup purposes only, but why not set up in colour ?
More importantly than the setup, there are a handful of older Wii games ("My Littlest Pet Shop" is the only one I've come across personally, but unfortunately it happens to be one of my daughter's favourite games !!) that can't output a 480p video signal ... these games just send the screen blank when using the VGA signal of this cable ... if you switch back to the Composite Video signal (using the green RCA plug this cable uses for its setup), the picture will return to the screen, but you'll be playing the game in B/W !!
I paid $35 for my cable, a bit pricey. DX has dropped the price since then, so you'll get a better deal than I did.
Other:
Don't listen to fer007's review where he says you need an RGB component TV to get the cable to work ... that's utter rubbish. The green connector carries a B/W composite signal, so a TV with standard composite AV inputs is all you need (which is every TV in the world that's been manufactured since 1985). Of course, purpose of the cable is to use your Wii or PS3 in VGA mode, so of course your TV or monitor should also have a VGA connection.
Bottomline:
Worth getting. The VGA picture on the Wii is gloriously colourful and detailed. I'm glad I purchased this cable for $35. You'll get an even better deal, now that DX has dropped the price.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections