DX  » Community » Reviews » 5V~8.4V 15W 5*Cree 5-Mode Memory Circuit Board for Flashlights (26mm*13mm)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Efficient and robust FP5138 boost driver – 5V~8.4V 15W 5*Cree 5-Mode Memory Circuit Board for Flashlights (26mm*13mm) Reviews

posted by desolder on 05/27/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
This is a boost driver for when you need to increase your battery's voltage in order to drive multiple LEDs in series. I am using it to drive 3x sku.4516, for a total output voltage of 19.8V. The power source is six 18650's wired as 3S2P (11.1V). This is for my primary bike light, which I guesstimate outputs 1000 to 1200 lumens.
I am getting about 80% to 85% efficiency, which is very good for a boost driver.
Check out the CandlePowerForums thread which discusses this driver. You can adjust the output current and modify it to exceed the 8.4V input limit. You can also disable the modes, which I have done.
Cons:
This is a much larger driver than most typical flashlight drivers, so be sure it will fit in your project.
It gets very warm, so you may need to heatsink it.
Other:
Some previous reviews mention that it gets very hot driving one LED with a 2S pack. THIS IS NOT INTENDED FOR SUCH AN APPLICATION!!! It is a boost driver only, so it will go into unregulated direct drive mode if the output voltage is less than the input voltage. Get a buck driver if you need to reduce voltage to drive one LED from multiple-series lithium cells.
Bottomline:
This is an absolute steal for four dollars!

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections