DX  » Community » Reviews » Network and Connection Wire Cutter Tools (3-Pack)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Great tool for the hobbyist – Network and Connection Wire Cutter Tools (3-Pack) Reviews

posted by MS3FGX on 12/11/2007 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Impressive build quality Excellent stripper Unbeatable value
Cons:
A little larger than I expected; punchdown tool not much better than the ones that come with keystone jacks.
Other:
I was VERY surprised by the build quality of these tools. Looking at the images I expected some cheap and flexible plastic that I could snap with my hand, but it turns out they are exceptionally well made. I have bought "real" tools that didn't feel as solid as these little things.

The wire stripper works very very well. Simply slide the wire into the appropriate indent along the arm and spin the tool around the wire. A few spins, and you can pull the jacket right off. I have stripped a few CAT 5 cables with one already, and it hasn't nicked the wires once (which is a better average than I have with my professional strippers).
Bottomline:
While the strippers were great, the punchdown tool is not a whole lot better than the disposable ones you will get when you buy a keystone jack. Of course, this is really not for professional use in the first place; and is better suited for the hobbyist or emergency repair kit, so I can't knock it too hard.

If you are planning a simple wiring project, pick up this three pack instead of putting $20+ down on a tool you really don't need.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections