DX  » Community » Reviews » Olympus Li-42B Compatible 3.7V 900mAh Battery Pack for Olympus IR-300/D630zoom + More
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 2
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 2
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 3
Less capacity than specified? – Olympus Li-42B Compatible 3.7V 900mAh Battery Pack for Olympus IR-300/D630zoom + More Reviews

posted by tobixen on 07/29/2011 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:
I hate being short of battery - so I bought five of those. Having extra batteries is of course a nice thing. I assume the price is fair, though I never checked other options.
Cons:
I've just done a quick test, and I'm quite disappointed of the results:
I took an arbritrary battery from the heap, charged it, put the camera in a stable position, started video recording and just left the camera there. The new battery lasted for a 19 minutes. The original battery is specified to be 710 mAh, but lasted for 29 minutes, so if this can be said to be a "fair" test, and if the original battery really is 710 mAh, then the new battery is only 465 mAh.
I have two issues with this ... it's very bad when one cannot trust the specifications, and a 900 mAh battery is IMHO worth more than four times as much as a 465 mAh battery.
Other:
It could be that my test is not fair; maybe the battery capacity will improve after some charging cycles, maybe the original battery is underspecified, maybe the new battery actually has better capacity just less "cranking milliamps" and hence not suitable for long videos. Maybe the single battery I tested was just a "bad apple" and the four others are excellent. I'll redo the test in some months and comment in the forum eventually.
Bottomline:
It's nice to have lots of spare capacity - so I don't regret buying many of those batteries ... but it's very annoying if the capacity is overspecified.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections