DX  » Community » Reviews » Akoray K-109 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*CR123A/1*16340)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Bright! Tiny! Makes a great gift! – Akoray K-109 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*CR123A/1*16340) Reviews

posted by niemo on 02/14/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Bright - noticeably brighter than a 200 lumen Romisen light I have. I would guess that the posted brightness and current draw specs are accurate. Mid and low modes are useful. Has a visually appealing metallic champagne finish that is well-applied. Neither of the lights I bought have flaws in the finish. No sharp edges either. All threaded areas have o-rings to keep moisture out. Really like the glow-in-the-dark o-rings and tail switch. Really like that this flashlight tail-stands, and is stable when doing so. Clip is very usable (but not indestructible) and a lanyard can be threaded through it if need be.
Cons:
Mine did not have memory mode. The head has a lot of play as it is being screwed and unscrewed. The threads won't slip past each other, but some care is needed when removing the flashlight head in order to change the battery. The finish wears easily, but since the finish color is fairly similar to that of the base metal, scratches are hard to see.
Other:
Got 2 of these, one for me and one to give as a gift. One had a perfectly focused beam, the other I was able to adjust until it was focused. On the other one, the clip was a bit out of adjustment. Removing the end cap allows the clip to be removed, and I was able to bend it back into shape. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long...and this one burns only 20 minutes on high. This is consistent with the posted specifications for the flashlight and RCR123 battery I'm using.
Bottomline:
Terrific light for the price. Is a very "usable" flashlight, and can really kick out the lumens when need be.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections