View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Bright light, impressive array of LEDs – Mega 53-LED Bike Mount Light 3xAA Reviews

posted by dbecker on 08/17/2007 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
This bike light has three sets of LEDs and four modes: 10 LEDs inner ring 17 LEDs middle ring 26 LEDs outer ring The first three modes lights additional rings, the fourth mode flashes all 53 LEDs. With a fresh set of three Akaline AA cells the light consumes: 10 LEDs 175mA 27 LEDs 550mA 53 LEDs 880mA With mid-quality NiMH cells I measured 10 LEDs 155mA 27 LEDs 420mA 53 LEDs 670mA The battery voltage and current sagged quickly in the all-LEDs-on mode. A significant advantage is that this light uses lower-cost AA cells instead of AAA cells. And with this current draw you'll be concerned about capacity and cost. The light is visually interesting, with a dramatic array of LEDs on a 55mm diameter mirror background. The array is easily seen through the flat clear plastic lens on the front. The handlebar clamp is 1"/25mm nominal, with a clamping range of about 3mm -- not enough for a larger or smaller bar.
Cons:
In 53 LED mode the high current caused the batteries I was using to drop in voltage pretty quickly, reducing the current. The batteries would likely last noticably less than 2 hours -- pretty much unacceptable for most users.
Other:
The handlebar clamp may have been designed for a smaller, lighter lamp. I'll add to this review if it fails in use.
Bottomline:
If you consider power-hungry 53 LED mode reserved for occasional use, or like the look of a large array of LEDs, this is the light for you. Otherwise a smaller, lighter model should be considered.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections