View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Good Value, Simple And Bright Enough – 3-LED Safety Bike Tail Light 2xAAA Reviews

posted by James_C on 07/30/2007

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Small, lightweight, sleek styling (doesn't look as much like a toy as some) slightly more red and less orange than pictured, runs a long time on 2 x AAA batteries, brighter than I thought it would be, rubber gasket and power button for good water resistance. Easy to remove from mounting clip.
Cons:
Fricton tabs instead of spring battery contacts, greatly reduced brightness after ~ 40 hours (flashing mode) running on NiMH (but kept running much longer), minimal light output to sides (but I didn't want a large, thick light), uses AAA instead of AA cells so runtime is shorter (but smaller and lighter weight due to it). I wish it had a separate battery hatch with a rubber gasket instead of popping lens off to swap batteries, but it would have to be much larger to do that and I wanted it small.
Other:
I assumed it had low-bin LEDs so I swapped one out for an 8K MCD red I had lying around. I was wrong, the original LEDs are brighter AND wider angle than 8K! It's a cheap design with flashing controller in epoxy on a thin strip board but that makes it lightweight, and low cost is good! There is chrome panel behind red lens to hold batteries and reflect more light and it all fits together well enough. I only wish it had one LED pointing to each side also. I had doubts it would be bright enough as other rear lights had more LEDs but it is plenty bright for my use and should run longer and be less ugly/obtrusive due to sleek smaller size. At such a low price I don't even have to worry about it being stolen. I wish it ONLY had two run modes, always on and flashing so I didn't have to press power button several times to turn it off but this is minor.
Bottomline:
When I bought it, DealExtreme had fewer rear lights on their 'site but they added several recently that are very similar except more LEDs. I think it's enough light but might choose sku 5749 next time to use AA instead of AAA cells. The picture makes it look thicker than others but it is just smaller width and height with about same thickness. I am happy with it for the price and use it regularly. To get it delivered for this price is amazing.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections