View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
fine once you managed to insert the batteries. – 3-LED Safety Bike Tail Mount Light 2xAAA Reviews

posted by ICanuwundra on 09/04/2009 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
: + design results in a simple, round o-ring + positively waterproof
Cons:
: - springs for both plus and minus contacts - has LED patterns which are of limited use - lacks potentially useful LED patterns (1, 2, 3 or 4 LEDS, in addition to the existing 5 LEDs permanently on)
Other:
Problem with springs on both battery contact sides is that you can't insert both battery ends first, so one of those springs isn't pushed down by the battery contact, but pushed sideways. Unluckily there are unisolated wires very close to the contacts. I need to use a tool like it was a shoehorn, pushing the battery inside while pushing down the one spring with the tool, the other with the battery contact. Alternatively, loosening three small screws which hold the disk with one side of the contacts, lifting it, inserting the batteries, and tightening the screws again works too, but needs a very small philips screwdriver to be at hand. Not following this procedure can lead to shortening the current path, and damage of the device. When I get annoyed enough by that, I'll probably remove the plus side spring, and glue a metal strip in. An AA version could be preferable.
Bottomline:
Once in operation, the device works well. The design is such that it is simple to keep water out, contrary to the more common kidney shaped lights, which often reach end of lifetime by the sticking (and damaged, in the process of opening the device) or rotting complex-shaped seal. This device has a simple cylindrical shape, with a lid and a perfectly circular seal between. Should the seal rot, it should be easy to find a replacement.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections