DX  » Community » Reviews » Cute Octopus USB 4-Port Hub (Black)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
NOT USB 2, but pretty nice anyway – Cute Octopus USB 4-Port Hub (Black) Reviews

posted by blazbi on 08/25/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Works as you would expect except its not USB 2. The LED is kinda cool, seems like everything from DX has an extra LED just for good measure, haha, but I love it. The quality of the plastic and materials isn't too bad, though it does't seem to be so precisely manufactured (see cons)
Cons:
The plugs are akward. Most of them are pretty loose. There can be no tension on the connection or it will disconnect and eventually fall out. Could use electrical tape or something, if its a semi permanent connection you want to make.
Other:
Bottomline:
It was disappointing to find that it was not USB 2.0. Some things still work very well through it, including things that I think actually require the 2.0 bandwidth. I think that its just not 100% compliant. I was able to watch 1080 resolution ATSC HD TV on my Kworld brand USB tv tuner with no issue, through this hub. That would not work with 1.0. But I have an external hard drive that has some issues with it and it seems to go slow through this hub. That's why I think that its not 100% compliant with the usb 2.0 spec. Some devices seem to be okay with it, some don't. Windows 7 thinks the whole hub is 1.1. The inconsistencies make me think its still a pretty good buy, the devices you have (if you have many) which do work fine through it, this will be fine for them. Overall its a pretty good buy and I am happy with the purchase, despite the product's quirks.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections