DX  » Community » Reviews » High Power Palm-size 802.11b/g WiFi USB Adapter with High Gain Antenna
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
Strongest Wireless Adapter I have seen – High Power Palm-size 802.11b/g WiFi USB Adapter with High Gain Antenna Reviews

posted by TecKnight on 01/05/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
This is a SWEET adapter. The reception is the best I have seen. To give you an idea how strong it is. I have a PC using an Atheros PCI adapter. I have a Cantenna (very strong directional wifi antenna) connected to it. I was getting 2-3 bars signal strength to my AP using a good piece of hardware and very strong antenna. When I used the stock antenna on my Atheros card, I was getting only 1-2 bars and was losing my connection at times. I simply plugged this G-Sky adapter into the USB port and my Windows 7 64 bit system immediately recognised the chipset and installed the generic Realtek 8187L 64 bit driver. I then pulled up the available wireless connections and this adapter was showing 5/5 bars signal strength for my AP! I was also seeing at least 10 networks I had never seen before! I connected to the AP and I am getting significantly more wireless bandwidth as well. I couldn't be happier with the performance of this adapter. I already have had 2 friends order one as well. This has a removable antenna on it connected to a standard reverse SMA connector. I can only imagine what kind of range I would get if I connected my cantenna to this adapter. It comes with an english/chinese getting started guide that actually was mostly a tutorial on using the Backtrack Penetration test bootable CD with this adapter. The Realtec 8187L is arguably the best USB adapter compatible with Backtrack. Mine came with a full size and a micro sized cd that I didn't even use since Windows has drivers for this chipset already.
Cons:
The adapter is smaller than I imagined based on the photos and even for it's size feels VERY light. Being as light as it is, I cannot imagine the plastic shell is very strong, so I advise treating it gently. I can't think on any other cons however.
Other:
This is a great portable adapter with reception that blows away any other adapter I have seen to date.
Bottomline:
Get this. You will not be sorry.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections