View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Cheap probe (not something you see elsewhere) – 100MHz Oscilloscope Probe Reviews

posted by realblades on 05/02/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Very inexpensive compared to normal sources. (That's why you're looking at this anyway, isn't it?) Came loosely coiled and intact. Stylish black, has all the necessary features for a probe of this type: cap with hook, 1X/10X switch, calibration cap, ground clip. Appears to work well.
Cons:
Somewhat flimsy. Flexible and thin cable. May not quite measure up to top quality probes. The point is a bit too fat to fit in common turned sockets or breadboard and isn't very sharp. No actual flaws found, though.
Other:
Maybe it doesn't measure up, but it's the only thing I've seen in this price range. If you're looking for better, buy something certified from an instrument maker. (It'll cost, of course.) Once calibrated, this pretty much matches my Tektronik probe. There's a slight difference in attenuation. I haven't taken this with me to a lab with fine enough equipment to confirm which one is correct or how high this will go. Rise/fall times look good on my 10M scope, I read the same numbers with this and the Tek and that's enough for me.
Bottomline:
I needed a cheap second probe. This is it. You take the "DX risk" and it's not a $2 item, but if it's like mine, I'd say it'll pay off.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections