Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week
+ Reasonable price.
+ Has a torch header and a soldering header.
- Requires external firestarter - no embedded firestarter. So -1 star for "Ease-of-use".
- No child lock - gas can be opened easily. So -1 star for "Build quality".
- Only one solder tip included.
* Spare solder tips of different sizes may be produced on a metalworking lathe.
* Catalytic torch used with solder tips uses special catalyst for flameless burning of gas. This catalyst will be easily destroyed with smallest amount of sulfur. Odorated gas contains sulfur (gas has no smell so it is often odorated with thiols to detect leaks by smell) so DO NOT FILL THIS SOLDERING IRON WITH ODORATED GAS OR YOU WILL KILL THE CATALYST!!! I would recommend Korean gas for portable kitchen stoves (for example KOVEA). As chemist I strictly recommend to smell gas before filling - it should not smell thiols (this smell is similar to the smell of garlic). If you don't know what is thiol see Wikipedia.
Recommend to buy if you need to solder where electricity is not available.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.