DX  » Community » Reviews » Wilderness Survival Fire Sparkle Magnesium Bar Combination (Large)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 3
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 2
Mmmm sparky fun! – Wilderness Survival Fire Sparkle + Blade Cutter Tool (Large) Reviews

posted by Criggie on 05/16/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Well after a bit of faffing about, the black protective covering was rubbed off enough to show the metal inside. Once this was done there are heaps of sparks and a good whiff of smoke from each stroke.
Cons:
You've got to stroke the full length of the rod, and use a decent amount of downwards pressure to make a lot of sparks. I've not managed to set fire to anything yet, but haven't really been trying. The item weighs more than a lighter and a lot more than some matches. A weight-conscious tramper might not bother. The cord tying the two is too short for comfortable stroking. Untie them or replace with a longer lace.
Other:
I'm tempted to try some high speed photos just to see how they turn out. One of these days.... I'm also a bit worried that the striker might strike a spark from the rod when in the pocket or something. This item would be useless for lighting a gas welding torch.
Bottomline:
Bit of a gimmick, but a fun toy.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections