DX  » Community » Reviews » Fotopro Flip Motion Mount for Digital Camera/Camcorder (Orange)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 2
  • Usefulness: 4
Simple and secure mounting option – Fotopro Flip Motion Mount for Digital Camera/Camcorder (Orange) Reviews

posted by nnodstrum on 04/11/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
This mount is useful for attaching a camera or other device (e.g. speedlight, webcam) that sports a tripod screw to your bike, helmet, railing, car roof rack, etc. The metal base, folding legs, rubber padding are well constructed and when properly attached with a small camera the mount stays firmly in place even during rough vibration. I use it for mounting a camera to my mountain bike and recording videos while I ride trails.
Cons:
The velcro straps are not reversed onto themselves as one would expect (i.e. when you loop the strap around an object and through the eyelet, the hook side of the velcro can only be attached against the hook side, not the loop side), which means you have to be a little creative when mounting to anything. I guess since the velcro is sewn to the mount in opposite ways, the intention is to attach each strip of velcro to the other one, but this is not always possible depending on what you are mounting to. The second drawback is the way the velcro is attached will eventually lead to the hooks being destroyed on one of the strips because they will always be in contact with the object you mount to. This is immediately evident when you loop the velcro through the eyelet; where the hooks touch the eyelet frame the hooks are crushed and destroyed. Third, if your camera has the battery access on the same side as the tripod mount, you'll have to take the camera off to change batteries.
Other:
In order to fix the aforementioned velcro problem, I cut the strips off, cut them in half, and re-sewed them together so that when you loop around an object and through the eyelet, the velcro now attaches to the opposite side. This took about 5 minutes and seems much more intuitive. The velcro strips are very long, so there was a lot of room for error.
Bottomline:
It's a cheap way to mount a device that has a tripod screw. The build quality is generally quite good except for the strange choice in the way the velcro is attached.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections